1. The Rakhine Investigation Commission established with the intention to systematically uncover the root cause of communal violence in Rakhine State and to prevent similar violence from recurrence released its report on 29 April 2013. President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar U Thein Sein delivered a statement on the report on 6 May 2013.
2. In his statement, the President touched on the following aspects:-
3. It can be seen that the aspects covered in the President’s statement provide practical guidelines for the emergence of a harmonious society where different faiths can coexist peacefully.
4. Myanmar National Human Rights Commission visited places where violence had occurred in the Rakhine State in June of 2012 and released a press statement No. (4/2012). In the press statement, the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission called for: Just and effective actions to be taken in accordance with law against the perpetrators of the acts of violence that had occurred; steps to be taken to build mutual trust for the physical and mental rehabilitation of the victims; a special programme to be undertaken to enhance the basis education of the children in the affected areas for the building of mutual trust and enrichment of intelligence and knowledge.
5. The Myanmar National Human Rights Commission would therefore like to earnestly urge the Government Departments concerned and the seven sub-committees for timely implementation of the policies and programmes laid down by the Central Committee for Implementation of Stability and Development in Rakhine State (CCISD) and the recommendations of the Rakhine Investigation Commission.Tags: Arakan State, Inquiry Commission on the Sectarian Violence in Rakhine State, MNHRC Statements, Myanmar National Human Rights Commission
This post is in: NHRC MonitorRelated Posts