United Nationalities Federal Council Annual Meeting Statement
By United Nationalities Federal Council
January 10, 2013
The United Nationalities Federal Council (UNFC) herewith issue a statement on resolution adopted by the following member and affiliate organizations in the annual meeting held from the 7th to 10th of January 2013 in a place on Thai-Burma border.
- Karen National Union (KNU)
- Karenni National Progressive Party
- Kachin Independence Organization
- Shan State Progressive Party (SSPP)
- New Mon State Party (NMSP)
- Arakan National Council (ANC)
- Pa-Oh National Liberation Organization
- Palaung State Liberation Front (PSLF)
- Lahu Democratic Union (LDU)
- Wa National Organization (WNO)
- Chin National Front (CNF) – absent
- The member organizations of UNFC, as a united entity, have decided to have comprehensive cease-fire and peace-talks with the government of Myanmar/Burma and would not accept any cease-fire and peace talks between the government and individual member organizations from now on. The UNFC, therefore, officially notifies the government of Myanmar/Burma that the UNFC is a sole negotiation body to the government in terms of comprehensive cease-fire and peace talks with the UNFC member organizations.
- A large number of people have been subjected to atrocities and forced to flee from their homes and homelands due to brutal and intense military attacks against KIO controlled areas, which took place from 14th December to the present. The UNFC must point out that such inhumane military acts have severely eroded trust, granted by the international community, to the president U Thein Sein despite his repeated announcements of his commitment to peace making. Expressing a strong protest against the government’s outrageous military acts, the UNFC expects U Thein Sein to bring his stronger and more effective leadership to bear on the government armed forces. With an appeal to every country, international organization and non-governmental organization that are supportive to democratization of Myanmar/Burma to pay more attention to the unenviable status of ethnic nationalities in Myanmar/Burma, the UNFC would like to request them to understand the hardship and support the realization of complete cease-fire and commencement of meaningful peace-talks.
- All the member organizations of UNFC have unanimously confirmed in the annual meeting that they are ready to start talks with the government as a united entity. The UNFC, therefore, requests the government to immediately halt attacks by the government armed forces against the ethnic nationalities. The UNFC herewith officially announce that it is ready to fully cooperate with the government on the reconciliation of all nationalities and the unity of the nation only when complete ceasefire and political solution is made by the military, as the UNFC members and the affiliates so resolved in the annual meeting.
- The UNFC strongly urges U Thein Sein to invest U Aung Min with sufficient authority and concrete funds in order to create condition for effective and persuasive peace-talks and political dialogue with the ethnic nationalities, and to hold peace-talks and political dialogue with UNFC in a neutral venue.
For more information:
- Saw David Tharckabaw + 66 (0) 90 4567 095
- Hkun Okker + 66 (0) 85 715 5105
Tags: Armed Conflict
, Kachin Independence Army
, United Nationalities Federal Council
This post is in: Peace and National Reconciliation, Press Release
Related Posts ရွမ္းျပည္တိုိးတက္ေရးပါတီ၊ ရွမ္းျပည္တပ္မေတာ္ SSPP/SSA ထုတ္ျပန္ေၾကညာခ်က္
Time for the Government to Accept the Reality of Human Rights Problems, Take Effective Measures and Move Forward
Kachin Region: War Torn Displaced Village Profiles
New report by Network for Human Rights Documentation – Burma Details Continuing Human Rights Violations by Burmese Military against its Citizens
Advance Unedited Version: Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, Yanghee LEE