Burma Partnership, Strengthening Cooperation for a Free Burma
Signup Now!
Join our mailing list for latest news and information about Burma.

Burmese Army Kills Civilian in Mortar Attack on Village

By Burma Campaign UK  •  June 13, 2011

A Burmese Army attack on a civilian village in Karen State, Burma, has killed one civilian and injured two others, including a seven year old boy. By deliberately targeting civilians in the attacks, Thein Sein’s regime has broken international law.

The attack took place on 7 June 2011 at 1pm. Seven mortar bombs were fired at Mae Ter Ler village, in the Kawkarait Township of Dooplaya. Five of the seven mortars landed in the village.

Naw Ku Kyet, aged 25 was killed. Two of her nephews were injured; 7 year old Saw Kaw Bu, and 17 year old Pah Kyaw Lah. 30 families lived in the village, totalling more than 100 people. All have now fled the village and are now in hiding.

Villagers have told Burma Campaign UK researchers that there was no warning and no explanation for the attack.

More than 3,600 villages in Eastern Burma have been destroyed by the Burmese Army in the past 16 years. Attacks against civilians have increased since rigged elections held in Burma last November. The dictatorship broke a ceasefire with part of the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army on 8th November 2010, and broke a ceasefire with part of the Shan State Army North on 13th March 2011. Burmese Army soldiers have targeted civilians since breaking these ceasefires, mortar bombing villagers, shooting civilians, raping women, using forced labour, and looting. All these acts are classified as crimes against humanity by the Rome Statute.

Last week Thein Sein also broke the ceasefire agreement with the Kachin Independence Army in Kachin State.

“While the international community says we must wait and see if Thein Sein’s regime will make changes, for his army it is business as usual, bombing villages and killing civilians,” said Mark Farmaner, Director of Burma Campaign UK. “Conflict in Burma is increasing. The United Nations must act urgently to persuade Thein Sein to agree to a nationwide ceasefire, and solve political problems through dialogue, not violence. The UN should also establish a Commission of Inquiry into possible war crimes and crimes against humanity in Burma. This could help reduce abuses against civilians.”

For more information contact Mark Farmaner on 07941239640.

Tags: , , , ,

This post is in: Crimes Against Humanity, Press Release

Related Posts
Burma Campaign UK Statement on the Death of Jo Cox MP
Maran Gam and Zau La’s Case Must be Reviewed
NLD-led Government Must Abide by UN Ruling to Release Lahpai Gam
Free Poet Maung Saungkha
Free Burmese Interfaith Activists